With the arrival of the 2018 Renault Espace model year, we add a new gasoline engine from 225 HP: The engine is the same 1.8 turbo that also mounts the Alpine A110, revised for the occasion with a dual stage turbo to get a more ready response to low revs. Will arrive on the market in July with prices starting from 39,100 euros.
What’s new in the 2018 Renault Espace?
It is not a real restyling, but with the model year 2018 the Mono volume par excellence receives some small update. As for the aesthetics is added to the color chart the new Black Amethyst, and are available of the alloy wheels from the original design. The cockpit is enriched with new LED lights, and the front seats become ventilated.
From the technological point of view, the Renault Espace 2018 my boasts among the accessories an audio system signed Bose with 12 speakers, and the multimedia system R-Link supports Apple Car play and Android car.
The minivan that invented the segment
Today the segment of the minivans carves out a very small market share. The traditional MPV has made its time, and in recent years the SUVs have conquered the market. But more than 30 years ago on the streets you could see only saloons, interspersed with some (rare) station wagon. At least until 1984, when the House of the Lozenge presented the first successful generation of Renault Espace. A revolutionary car, which offered the habitability of a minibus with the performance and the driveability of a sedan: a real success.
Today, the 2018 Renault Espace has come to the fifth generation, and to keep up with the times it has become a crossover from the sporty design, maintaining the versatility and exploitation of the spaces from minivans, except for the one in height, because the sloping pavilion (which makes the car spinning) takes a few centimetres above the head of the rear passengers. On the other hand, the three passengers of the second row have at their disposal three seats identical individual seats, a real rarity.
Very practical the “one Touch” system: Just press a key (from the touch screen or from the boot) to fold some or all of the seats of the second and third rows.
On the road with the Espace TCE 225 EDC
Let’s say it now: a gasoline engine on a car from the Espace segment in Italy has no market. The numbers speak clear: only 5% choose the French minivan with gasoline, while the remaining 95% opts for the diesel versions 1.6 DCI from 130 hp and 160 CV with EDC.
Those who make a few kilometers, and at the same time is attracted by the performance, can find in the Espace TCE 225 EDC a spacious car and at the same time satisfying. Because, in spite of its tonnage, it moves with an unexpected agility. The trick? The four-wheel steering system 4control gives a nice contribution. But also the Multinsense system with the active shock absorbers allows you to set the sport mode and to have a flat trim in corners.
All this, however, also applies to version 1.6 dci. The one that offers, in addition, the TCE 225 is an acceleration from compact sports-off the 0-100 in 6.9 seconds-and an interesting one. That said, the 2018 Espace 1.6 DCI 160 EDC-that I’ve been able to try in the past-proves itself just as ready at low revs (so in daily use) and consumes considerably less.
Prices of the 2018 Renault Espace
In the Version TCE 225 EDC prices start from 39,100 euros in the setting up Intens and 47,100 in that Initiale Paris. At the same stage, the 2018 Espace 1.6 DCI 160 EDC costs 39,500 and 47,500 euros respectively.
The 2018 Renault Espace 1.6 DCI 130, available only in the Zen entrance setting, costs 33,800 euros.